This spicy hazelnut hot chocolate is way better than any store-bought mix! Rich, ultra-soothing, and bursting with spices, this vegan hot chocolate recipe will be your new go-to.
It’s as simple as heating all the ingredients on the stove and pouring the mixture into mugs. Perfect for when the cold weather hits!
Excited to get started? Let’s take a look.
Why you’ll love it
- Bursting with cozy spices and flavors
- Like a hug in a mug
- Super rich and thick
- Easy to make in one pot
- Warms you up like nothing else
- Hazelnut milk (your favorite dairy-free milk will do)
- Dark chocolate (be sure it’s vegan)
- Cocoa powder (for that extra kick)
- Sugar (sweeten this beverage to your liking!)
- Cayenne (this is where things get interesting!)
- Marshmallows, cinnamon sticks & hazelnuts (delicious toppings)
How to make hazelnut hot chocolate
- Place a small pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped dark chocolate and a splash of hazelnut milk.
- Let it warm on the stove, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the rest of the ingredients: cocoa powder, sugar, cayenne, and the remaining milk.
- Let everything warm up until it almost simmers, then remove from heat.
- Divide between serving mugs and garnish with marshmallows, cinnamon sticks, and toasted hazelnuts!
Tips & adjustments
- Use any sweetener of your choice for this recipe.
- If you want to make it less rich, add more cocoa powder instead of dark chocolate.
- Flavor ideas: add a shot of espresso, pinch of salt, cinnamon, peppermint extract, or vegan caramel!
- Storage: any leftover hot chocolate can be stored in a jar or bottle in the fridge for up to 3 days once it’s cooled. Reheat on the stove or in a microwave!
Did you like this recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below and leave a rating!