Bake these beginner-friendly vegan Oreo cupcakes for your family or any upcoming special occasion!
They are a true hit with vegans and non-vegans, kids and adults alike and feature contrasts of texture between crunchy oreo cookie base, rich chocolate batter and velvety frosting.
These cupcakes are insanely delicious and indulgent, dense and satisfying!
Why you’ll love them
- Incredibly moreish
- Delicious & crowd-pleasing
- Moist, creamy & crumbly
- Not overly sweet
- Undetectably vegan
Did you like this recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below and leave a rating!
Vegan Oreo Cupcakes
For the Batter
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds ground
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp distilled vinegar
- 12 Oreo cookies
For the Frosting
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make your own egg replacement by mixing ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and line a cupcake tray with liners. Place a whole oreo cookie into each liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the batter: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add canola oil, soy milk, vanilla, vinegar and flax egg and mix with a spoon until well combined. Don’t overmix!
- Divide your batter evenly between the cupcake liners on top of the Oreo cookie. Place in the oven and bake for 22 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by creaming the butter with a handheld electric mixer in a large bowl.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy, then gradually add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix until just combined, then add soy milk and vanilla extract.
- Keep mixing until everything is well combined, adding more milk if needed.
- Pipe the chocolate frosting onto the cool cupcakes. Crush 3 Oreo cookies and sprinkle frosting with crumbs for a nice finish!
- You can use store-bought egg replacer for this recipe.
- Feel free to make vegan buttercream frosting for these cupcakes!
- Decorate with halved Oreo cookies if wanted.
- Any plant-based milk works for this recipe.
- The cupcakes can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.